Social Media Optimization (SMO) – is a package of measures aimed at effective and convenient use of a site by members of social networks and the most rapid dissemination of information about a site in social environments.
SMO – means the optimization of sites for social networking. In this case to promote a site you need interesting content. Readers will refer just at useful and interesting article and share with their friends. Also on the web pages are set dedicated buttons for adding material to social networks. It also includes various widgets from social networks, for example, “I like it.” This is publication and distribution of video via YouTube, for example.
Today SMO plays an important role in website promotion. And more than one year. In addition to web site promotion, it’s a perfect tool to advertise your own products. Imagine you have optimized the page for a product and then wait until search engine will index this page. And it is likely you will have to work with external factors: buy links, post review articles. If you apply to SMO, users will know about your products and services instantly.
So, there are 5 generally accepted recommendations for a site dealing with social networks:
1. Increasing site linkability. That is, site should include content that could attract a desire to put a link to it. For corporate sites whose content is mostly static, the best alternative could be publishing of interesting research articles, theatrical articles. A good step is to open a corporate blog.
2. Easy adding a post to social bookmarks. By placing a few adding buttons to social bookmarks, you will simplify this task to user, get inbound links to your site and help to spread content on the Internet.
3. Promotion of inbound links. Many bloggers regularly organize various competitions with some prizes. The purpose of these events – is to enhance your blog promotion (PR) among other bloggers, attract attention of blogosphere.
4. Export content promotion. Create different content formats - pdf-files, video, audio-recording. Adding such content to the thematic resources will bring you more links.
5. Encourage the use of your content (reasonably). A prime example is YouTube, which provides the code for videos on your site. This possibility has led to the immense popularity of the service.